A significant step in the glass industry was made with the development of Pilkington Activ™, the first dual-action self-cleaning glass. The unique dual-action of the Pilkington Activ™ coating uses the forces of nature to help keep the glass free from dirt, giving not only the practical benefit of less cleaning, but also clearer, better-looking windows. The Pilkington Activ™ Range includes products which benefit from both self-cleaning and solar control properties helping to create an environment that can be used all year round.
The product range
Pilkington Activ™ Clear: Self-cleaning glass
Pilkington Activ™ Bronze: Self-cleaning glass with solar control properties
Pilkington Activ™ Blue: Self-cleaning glass with medium solar control properties
Pilkington Activ SunShade™ Neutral: Self-cleaning glass with medium solar control properties
Pilkington Activ SunShade™ Blue: Self-cleaning glass with high solar control properties
Pilkington Activ Suncool™ A range of high performance solar control and self-cleaning products for Commercial applications
How It Works
The unique dual-action self-cleaning coating is located on the external pane of glass.
The coating has revolutionay photo-catalytic and hydrophilic properties, and works in two stages:
Stage 1 - The coating reacts with natural daylight to break down and loosen organic dirt.
Stage 2 - When it rains, instead of forming droplets, the water spreads evenly over the surface of the glass, helping to wash away any dirt and reduce streaking.
During long dry spells the glass can be cleaned by simply hosing it down with clean water.
Benefits for Pilkington Activ™ Range
- Pilkington Activ™ uses daylight and rainwater to break down and wash away organic dirt from the exterior of the glass.
- The first glass to be independently tested for self-cleaning performance to EN 1096-5 by the Fraunhofer Institute for Surface Engineering & Thin Films IST
- Reduced need for manual cleaning
- Self-cleaning properties continue to work on cloudy days and during the night.
- Pilkington Activ™ is virtually indistinguishable from ordinary glass
- Pilkington Activ™ ideal for hard-to-reach roof glazing, skylights, conservatories and large glazed areas, saving time and money
- Windows look cleaner for longer
- Pilkington Activ™ coating lasts the lifetime of the glass
- Easily cleaned during dry spells by hosing down
- The Pilkington Activ™ range can be used in conjunction with a host of other Pilkington products to achieve a variety of benefits such as: privacy, noise-control, safety and security
Additional benefits for Pilkington Activ Suncool™ Pro T
- Pilkington Suncool™ provides superior solar control properties, helping to control solar gain whilst providing high light levels
- Ideal for large vertical certain wall facades
- Helps to keep the building cooler in summer, reducing or eliminating the need for air conditioning
- Excellent low-e properties, keeping the building warm in winter, with U-values as low as 1.0 W/m2K
- Available in toughenable options that offer additional safety and mechanical strength properties after toughening.
Pilkington Activ™ Glass Coating Detector
Pilkington Activ™ glass coating detectors are now available to purchase direct from the supplier, Norcott Instrumentation Limited.
Click here for further details.
Technical Update Document
The following document contains flow charts which are designed to provide you with up-to-date information about the technical aspects of Pilkington Activ™.
Click here for further details
New Test Results for Pilkington Activ™
Independently tested to and passes EN 1096-5, the new European Standard for evaluating self-cleaning performance
Click here for further details