A significant step in the glass industry was made with the development of Pilkington Activ™, the first dual-action self-cleaning glass. The unique dual-action of the Pilkington Activ™ coating uses the forces of nature to help keep the glass free from dirt, giving not only the practical benefit of less cleaning, but also clearer, better-looking windows. The Pilkington Activ™ Range includes products which benefit from both self-cleaning and solar control properties helping to create an environment that can be used all year round.
The product range
Pilkington Activ™ Clear: Self-cleaning glass
Pilkington Activ™ Bronze: Self-cleaning glass with solar control properties
Pilkington Activ™ Blue: Self-cleaning glass with medium solar control properties
Pilkington Activ SunShade™ Neutral: Self-cleaning glass with medium solar control properties
Pilkington Activ SunShade™ Blue: Self-cleaning glass with high solar control properties
Pilkington Activ Suncool™ A range of high performance solar control and self-cleaning products for Commercial applications
How It Works
The unique dual-action self-cleaning coating is located on the external pane of glass.
The coating has revolutionay photo-catalytic and hydrophilic properties, and works in two stages:
Stage 1 - The coating reacts with natural daylight to break down and loosen organic dirt.
Stage 2 - When it rains, instead of forming droplets, the water spreads evenly over the surface of the glass, helping to wash away any dirt and reduce streaking.
During long dry spells the glass can be cleaned by simply hosing it down with clean water.
- Latest technology, Pilkington Activ™ breaks down organic dirt and helps it to be washed away
- Chemical reaction that uses UV light to break down and detach particles of organic dirt from the glass
- Water spreads evenly over the glass surface to form a thin film, helping to wash dirt away, and drying off quickly
- Your windows carry on cleaning themselves, even on cloudy days
- Improved vision while raining, and afterwards
- Windows never need drying - even after hosing down
- Saves time and money - makes Pilkington Activ™ ideal for hard-to-reach glazing such as skylights
- More friendly to the environment than ordinary glass
- Your windows look good for longer
- Pilkington Activ™ is virtually indistinguishable from ordinary glass
- The first glass to be independently tested for self-cleaning performance to EN 1096-5
by the Fraunhofer Institute for Surface Engineering & Thin Films IST
Pilkington Activ™ Glass Coating Detector
Pilkington Activ™ glass coating detectors are now available to purchase direct from the supplier, Norcott Instrumentation Limited.
Click here for further details.
Technical Update Document
The following document contains flow charts which are designed to provide you with up-to-date information about the technical aspects of Pilkington Activ™.
Click here for further details
New Test Results for Pilkington Activ™
Independently tested to and passes EN 1096-5, the new European Standard for evaluating self-cleaning performance
Click here for further details