Introducing Pilkington SaniTise™
, a world-first in glazing. It is an on-line coated glass with a photocatalytic coating, that provides antimicrobial properties. Tested by leading Universities it helps protect against enveloped viruses, reducing the risk of microbial transmission from any shared/frequently touched surfaces that have access to UV radiation.
How it works
The glass uses a durable on-line coating deposited directly onto the glass surface during its manufacturing process.
The Pilkington SaniTise™
antimicrobial coating is activated when exposed to UV radiation from natural daylight or artificial UV irradiation devices and works in 2 stages:
Stage 1 - The coating reacts with water vapour within the air, in a photocatalytic process that produces reactive oxygen species.
Stage 2 - These species support the breakdown of organic species and help to provide antimicrobial properties and activity against enveloped viruses on the glass surface.
Features & Benefits
- Pilkington SaniTise™ can be used in a large variety of glazing applications
- Pilkington SaniTise™ glass provides antimicrobial properties when exposed to UV radiation
- Helps protect against enveloped viruses
- Pilkington SaniTise™ is activated by natural daylight and retains photocatalytic activity for up to 2 hours in the dark. The coating can also be activated by artificial UV radiation
- Pilkington SaniTise™ can double the effectiveness of UV disinfection processes on the glass surface
- Highly resistant to corrosion, physical force and chemical damage
- The glass can be toughened, laminated, bent and processed into Insulating Glass Units (IGU) using standard processes. The coating is typically on the interior (room facing) surface of the IGU
- Available in a range of sizes to suit customer requirements
- Available on Pilkington Optifloat™ clear in 4 mm, 6 mm, 8 mm and 10 mm thicknesses
- Pilkington SaniTise™ is also available on Pilkington Optiwhite™ and Pilkington Optifloat™ tint substrates on request
- Pilkington SaniTise™ has achieved EN 1096 Class A, the highest classification for coating durability
Pilkington SaniTise™ reduces the risk of antimicrobial transmission on exterior and interior glass surfaces that have access to UV exposure from daylight, such as:
- Commercial and public buildings including office, retail, education, healthcare, leisure and hospitality environments
- Public transport such as school buses, trains, shuttle buses, ferries and cruise liners
- Exterior shared spaces such as bus stop shelters, where many different people are touching the glass throughout the day
Pilkington SaniTise™ is also suitable for interior applications, where the glass is activated by artificial UV radiation:
- Cover glass for touch screens/displays
- Glass screens or barriers
- Partition walls
- Wall cladding
- Counter tops/table tops