Pilkington Optilam™ is the brand name for our laminated glass range. Pilkington Optilam™ is ideal for providing both impact resistance and security since it may break on impact but the glass is held in place thus preventing injury or intrusion.
Pilkington Optilam™ is produced by combining two or more sheets of glass with one or more plastic interlayers. The performance of Pilkington Optilam™ can therefore be varied by changing the number and thickness of each of the glass panes and the polyvinylbutyral (PVB) interlayers to give the specifier a wide choice of products depending on application, whether it be for safety or security, noise control, solar control, UV screening, bullet and blast resistance or privacy and decoration.
Pilkington Optilam™ can be supplied with an ionomer interlayer (e.g. SGP) instead of PVB for increased loadbearing capability and improved post-breakage behaviour.
For solar control, privacy and decoration see Pilkington Optilam™ I.
For noise control see Pilkington Optiphon™.
Protection from Accidents
- Range of laminated glass which reduces the risk of injury by accidental human impact
- Remains in place, even when broken
- 6.4mm is the most widely used thickness for protecting people against risk of accidental injury giving Class 2 performance to EN 12600
- Main applications include building entrances, internal and external doors, partitions and barriers, overhead glazing, swimming pools and bathing areas, shop display windows and windows glazed in low level safety critical locations. In these applications Pilkington Optilam™ will continue to resist penetration even when broken and provide some security protection in addition to safe breaking characteristics
- Can be combined with other products from the Pilkington product range in an Insulating Glass Unit (IGU) e.g. combine with a Pilkington Toughened Glass outer pane to provide excellent overhead glazing protection
- Available incorporating Pilkington Optifloat™ Tint, Pilkington Eclipse Advantage™ and Pilkington Suncool™ to provide impact safety combined with solar control properties (the latter can also be achieved by using a tinted PVB interlayer and is known as Pilkington Optilam™ I)
- Available incorporating the range of Pilkington low-emissivity glass coatings such as Pilkington Optitherm™ and Pilkington K Glass™ as a pane of an IGU to enhance thermal insulation whilst providing impact safety
Protection from Vandalism and Burglary
- Laminate resists penetration – glass may break but interlayer retains overall integrity and continues to act as a barrier
- Protects against break-ins by preventing or slowing down burglary attempts
- Protects against vandalism and brief attacks using easily available objects
- Withstands repeated blows from heavy objects such as bricks, hammers, crowbars and similar hand held heavy objects
- Depending on the extent of the attack the product remains integral and protects the premises adequately and limits penetration whilst awaiting replacement, offering:
- protection from secondary looting
- damage from the wind and weather
- relative safety even while broken, reducing personal injury
- often no need for 'boarding up'
- Typical applications include buildings or shops displaying valuable goods, banks, building societies, post offices, security glazing in hospitals and prisons, museum display cases etc
- Available in 6.8 to 19.5mm standard thicknesses
- The correct grade and thickness specified for the application depends on the value of goods on display, degree of risk, estimated time needed by thieves to break in and enter
- Conforms to EN 12600 Class 1
- Provides a high degree of UV protection
- Range of products meeting EN 356, the specification for anti-bandit glazing
- The light spill at night from glass shopfront windows acts as an additional deterrent to the burglar - compare the effect with solid shutters which highlights to the burglar that the shop is empty
- Retailers claim that a lot of shoppers make purchasing decisions when browsing during out of shop hours - using solid shutters prevents this