The above information can be inputted into the Pilkington Mechanical Strength online calculator which is available in MyPilkington. To register for MyPilkington, please click here.
To determine a suitable glass type and thickness for a glass barrier, the following information is required:
- Size of glass pane
- Type of barrier i.e. infill, free standing or full height - refer to BS6180
- Any glass preference i.e. toughened or laminated
- Fixing method e.g. fully framed, top and bottom fixed, bolted, bottom edge clamped, etc.
- Presence of handrail or not
- Design loads to be applied
- There are three loads applied to barriers depending on the location and duty required. i.e. line load, uniform load and concentrated load