BIPV stands for Building Integrated Photovoltaics (BIPV) and refers to a building component which has been enhanced to perform as a renewable energy-generating material in addition to being an integrated part of the architecture and building facade. Examples include windows, spandrel glass and skylights.
Our latest development Pilkington Sunplus™ BIPV Powered by NEXBuilding, provides power-generating, architectural glass solutions for both vertical and horizontal applications; allowing building proprietors and developers to turn buildings into powergenerating assets.
Pilkington Sunplus™ BIPV combines the proven reliability and efficiency of crystalline silicon technology with the world’s leading glass brand.
Pilkington Sunplus™ BIPV Powered by NEXBuilding offers following benefits:
- Seamless Integration: Pilkington Sunplus™ BIPV is designed for ease of integration into the design of a building, allowing for desired combination of aesthetics and performance.
- Custom Design: Partial and full layout of PV-cells allow for flexible design, further enhanced by a variety of available colours.
- Reliability: Pilkington Sunplus™ BIPV uses proven polycrystalline silicon PV cells technologies for quality, durability, and performance.
- Attractive Aesthetics: Effective glare control, reducing the need for internal blinds.
- Sustainability: Pilkington Sunplus™ BIPV can assist with the LEED and BREEAM certification process towards a Net-Zero Building, improving the sustainability credentials of a building.
- Compelling Economics: Typical project payback is under 10 years due to factors including:
- downsizing of HVAC system, minimizing blinds and sun-shades results in capital cost reduction,
- reduced operating costs,
- value of energy generation,
- possibility availability of incentives for PV to both property owners and building developers.
- External Testing: NEXBuilding’s PV technology has been corroborated by the Lawrence Berkley National Laboratory. The study concluded that the integration of this BIPV technology allows for:
- more than 16% savings in net electricity use,
- more than 22% in HVAC energy saving potential,
- 20% improvement in Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC), equivalent to g-value in Europe (g-value can be further reduced with the use of high-performance glass coatings),
- high solar power density, confirming simulated results.