The Trustee has a formal Internal Disputes Resolution (IDR) procedure for resolving any disagreements with the Scheme. The two-stage IDR process is described in detail in the following document:

IDR Dispute Resolution Procedure 

The Money and Pensions Service (MaPS) is available to assist pension scheme members in connection with any difficulty they have with their pension schemes.  You can obtain free and impartial assistance from the Money and Pensions Service using the details below:

Telephone:      01159 659570


In writing:      The Money and Pensions Service
                     120 Holborn
                     EC1N 2TD