Pilkington made a significant step in the glass industry with the development of Pilkington Activ™, the first dual-action self-cleaning glass. The unique dual-action of the Pilkington Activ™ coating uses the forces of nature to help keep the glass free from dirt, giving not only the practical benefit of less cleaning, but also clearer, better-looking windows.
Click here to see how it works
How it works
A revolutionary dual-action self-cleaning coating is located on the external glass pane.
It has got photo-catalytic and hydrophilic properties, and works in two stages:
- (Stage 1) The coating reacts with natural daylight to break down and loosen organic dirt.
- (Stage 2) When it rains, instead of forming droplets, the water spreads evenly over the surface of the glass, forming a thin film and helping to wash away any dirt and reduce streaks.
During long dry spells the glass can be cleaned by simply hosing it down with clean water.
- Self-cleaning properties reduce the need for manual cleaning, saving water and eliminating potentially harmful run-off from expensive detergents, also increasing personal safety.
- Works even on cloudy days and during the night.
- Highly durable pyrolytic on-line coating that lasts the lifetime of the glass.
- Can be laminated, tempered, bent and enamelled using standard techniques.
- Can be used in its monolithic form or incorporated in insulating glass units (coating on surface #1), for instance with Pilkington Energy Advantage™ to offer additional thermal insulation properties.
- Pilkington Optiphon™ for improved noise reduction for additional thermal insulation properties.
- Available in a range of different sizes and thicknesses (2.5, 3, 4, 5 and 6 mm).
- Achieves Class A to EN 1096 for coated glass.
- Achieves ASTM C 1376 standard specification.
The following document contains flow charts which are designed to provide you with up-to-date information about the technical aspects of Pilkington Activ™. It includes a list of gaskets that have passed Pilkington's compatibility tests and are approved for use with Pilkington Activ™ glass.
Click here for further details
Click here for Technical Tips
Pilkington Activ™ Glass Coating Detector
Pilkington Activ™ glass coating detectors are now available to purchase direct from the supplier, Norcott Instrumentation Limited.
Click here for further details.