Glass is an excellent choice for internal partitions. Not only does it allow light to penetrate further into a building but it can provide many other functions:
- acoustic attenuation - reduce noise levels between areas;
- impact resistance - provide a screen for security or prevent falling from one level to another, create glass corridors;
- privacy - using texture glass or tinted laminated interlayers including white translucent effects/etched effects;
- decoration – create attractive interior, give the possibility to add logos or direction designs;
- fire resistance – provide protection against fire.
There are numerous applications for glass as an internal divide. Keeping natural light penetrating as far into a building as possible is a major benefit not only in reducing artificial lighting but providing occupant comfort as well. The Pilkington fire product range means that even in sensitive areas glass can be used with great effect.
To maintain light penetration but provide privacy there are glass products that are designed to scatter light or appear translucent. Pilkington Optifloat™ Opal and Pilkington Optilam™ I Translucent White, laminated glass with a white interlayer, give a translucent effect to partitions. The Pilkington Texture Glass range add relief to the glass and can provide varying degrees of obscurity.
Many locations require impact resistant glass and most products can be toughened or laminated to the required impact standard.