People are the organisation's most important asset and the careful management of this asset and the achievement of high personal performance is, therefore, important for the success of the business.
The Human Resources or HR function provides a wide range of services and support to line management at all levels in managing local businesses and Group-wide issues. At the operational level HR provides support in areas such as:
- the design and operation of remuneration procedures
- provision of training and development
- management of performance review and appraisal processes
- management of the terms and conditions of employment
- design and maintenance of appropriate work practices
- design and operation of effective means of communication and consultation with employees
- achieving the full involvement and motivation of employees
- the development and operation of administrative systems to manage all these issues effectively
HR also operates at a more strategic level by working with management in individual businesses and in Group Headquarters, on initiatives that support business plans and the overall strategy of the organisation. Such initiatives include:
- bringing about significant change in the way that the business is organised and operates
- succession planning and the development of talent at all levels within the organisation
- major training programmes aligned with business needs
- reward and incentive schemes that encourage achievement of strategic aims
- development of HR policies and procedures
It is important in the early stage of a career in HR to gain as broad an experience of the business as possible, thereby building the capability to provide effective support to line management. Movement between locations to achieve this experience can be expected.
Those setting out on a longer-term career in HR take a part-time course of study leading to qualifications of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development. In addition to training in HR skills, you will be encouraged to participate in the full range of general graduate development activities. This includes the Diploma in Management, which will help prepare you for more substantial supervisory and management roles in the future.
Please see the vacancies page to check which functional areas we have vacancies in.
Main UK locations for HR:
- St Helens and Lathom: Building and Automotive Products
- Birmingham: Automotive Products
- Redditch: Automotive Products