Pilkington Toughened Glass
Pilkington Toughened Glass is manufactured by subjecting the final glass size to a heating and cooling treatment. A balance of high compressive stresses at the surface and tensile stresses in the centre of the glass increases its strength. The result is a glass that is 5 times stronger than ordinary glass of the same thickness.
How it works
The high compressive surface stresses give the glass its increased resistance to mechanical and thermal stresses. It can, however, break under extreme loads or by severe impact. When broken, toughened glass shatters into small, blunt-edged fragments, reducing the risk of personal injury.
Product features & benefits
- Conforms to all EN 12150-1 requirements and is CE marked in accordance with EN 12150-2
- Achieves Class 1 to EN 12600 with a mode of breakage type C
- Thicker glass achieves the highest classification of 1(C)1 to EN 12600
- Up to 5 times stronger than ordinary glass of the same thickness, offering a proven solution to safety and strength concerns
- Reduces the risk of thermal stress breakage of glass exposed to solar radiation
- Can be heat soaked for extra confidence in use
- Can be used where national standards or Codes of Practice specifically require the use of safety glazing material, in applications such as passageways, areas of high pedestrian traffic, in doors and adjacent panels, shower and bath enclosures, balconies and barriers amongst others.
Typical fragmentation pattern of toughened glass
How do I buy/specify this product?
For more information on this product, please email us.