Pilkington Optilam™ is our laminated glass, produced by combining two or more sheets of float glass with one or more interlayers. The most popular interlayer used is a PolyVinylButyral (PVB) interlayer, which is processed with heat and pressure under factory conditions.
How it works
The interlayers ensure the integrity of the glass, by holding the broken pieces in place should any damage occur. In fact, glass fragments adhere strongly to the interlayer, while the resistant cushioning effect dissipates the energy.
We can influence the performance of Pilkington Optilam™ simply by changing the number and thickness of each layer of glass and PVB interlayer. By doing this, we can offer a wide range of products suitable for many applications.
Product features & benefits - safety glass
- Class 2(B)2 performance to EN 12600, achieved through Pilkington Optilam™ 6.4 mm
- Achieves up to Class 1(B)1, depending upon thickness and type
- Can be enhanced when combined with other Pilkington products to provide additional benefits such as self-cleaning, solar control or thermal insulation
- Available in a wide range of sizes and thicknesses
- Can be used in applications such as glazed building entrances, internal doors, overhead and roof glazing, swimming pools and windows in critical risk locations.
Product features & benefits - security glass
- Meets EN 356 in addition to safety glass requirements EN 12600
- Protects from vandalism and burglary
- Able to withstand repeated blows from heavy objects such as bricks, hammers or crowbars
- Provides higher levels of UV protection than monolithic glass types
- Can be used in typical applications which display valuable goods, such as museums or in banks or building societies, as well as safety glazing in hospitals and prisons.
Product features & benefits - bullet resistance glass
- Conforms to EN 1063 or to national specifications
- Penetration resistant from bullets fired from handguns, shotguns, modern high performance firearms and high velocity military rifles
- Available in 11,5 mm to 39 mm thicknesses to suit different levels of threat
- Can be used in applications in high risk buildings such as banks, post offices, building societies, embassies, cash offices, military establishments and VIP residences.
Bullet resistant Pilkington Optilam™
How do I buy/specify this product?