Pilkington Optilam™ OW
Pilkington Optilam™ OW is the brand name for our laminated glass on a Pilkington Optiwhite™ E (low-iron) base substrate. Pilkington Optilam™ OW is ideal for providing both impact resistance and security since it may break on impact but the glass is held in place thus preventing injury or intrusion.
Pilkington Optilam™ OW offers the same mechanical and acoustic properties as Pilkington Optilam™, however, is clearer in appearance with enhanced light and solar transmittance properties. Pilkington Optilam™ OW is produced by combining two or more sheets of glass with one or more plastic interlayers (PVB). The performance of Pilkington Optilam™ OW can therefore be varied by changing the number and thickness of each of the glass panes and the polyvinylbutyral (PVB) interlayers to give the specifier a wide choice of products depending on application, whether it be for safety or security, noise control, solar control, UV screening, bullet and blast resistance or privacy and decoration.
For solar control, privacty and decoration see Pilkington Optilam™ I.
Pilkington Optilam™ OW has enhanced light and solar transmittance properties to help maximise solar gain for Window Energy Ratings or reduce thermal safety risks.
Protection from Accidents
- A range of laminated glass available which reduces the risk of injury by accidental human impact
- Remains in place even when broken
- 6.4mm is the most widely used thickness for protecting people against risk of accidental injury giving Class 2 performance to EN 12600
- The same mechanical and acoustic properties as Pilkington Optilam™
Protection from vandalism and burglary
- Laminate resists penetration – glass may break but the interlayer retains overall integrity and continues to act as a barrier
- Protects against break-ins by preventing or slowing down burglary attempts
- Protects against vandalism and brief attacks
- Withstands repeated blows from heavy objects such as bricks, hammers, crowbars and similar heavy hand held objects
- Depending on the extent of the attack the product remains integral, protects the premises adequately and limits penetration whilst awaiting replacement
- Available in 6.4 to 19.5 mm standard thicknesses
- Classified to EN 12600 Class 1
- Provides a high degree of UV protection
- Range of products classified to EN 356 (Specification for anti-bandit glazing)
- Typical applications include building entrances, internal and external doors, partitions and barriers, overhead glazing, swimming pools, banks and building societies, post offices, museum display cases and security glazing in hospitals and prisons
- In applications where windows are glazed in low level safety critical locations, Pilkington Optilam™ OW will continue to resist penetration even when broken and provide some security protection in addition to safe braking characteristics
- Can be combined with other Pilkington products in an Insulating Glass Unit (IGU) e.g. combine with a Pilkington Toughened Glass outer pane to provide excellent overhead glazing protection.