Partner Scheme - Frequently Asked Questions
B1. As a window-company, what do I need to do to start to market my windows incorporating Pilkington energikare™?
Once you decide to become a Pilkington energiKare™ Window Partner;
- Complete, sign and return the Pilkington energiKare™ Partner Agreement.
- Window fabricators should identify an appropriate supplier of IGU product from the Partner list and companies who only install windows should check that their supplier can provide appropriate approved windows.
- Acquire a BFRC Window Energy Rating for your window or your supplier's window (see below for more detail)
- Begin to promote and sell your windows incorporating Pilkington energiKare™.
- Window companies can alternatively join the scheme as Pilkington energiKare™ Associates perhaps whilst deciding whether to obtain a BFRC rating or during the process. These companies can sell windows incorporating IGUs bought from approved IGU Processor Partners and should register with us in the same way.
B2. As an IGU Processor, what do I need to do to start to make and offer Pilkington energikare™ IGUs?
- Complete, sign and return Pilkington energiKare™ Partner Agreement which confirms that you produce IGUs to EN 1279-3 or EN 1279-2.
- Identify appropriate supply of stock product from the Partner list.
- Identify target window companies (prospective or current Window Partners)
- Begin to promote and sell Pilkington energiKare™ IGUs.
B3. As a Merchant, what do I need to do to start to market products under the Pilkington energikare™ brand?
- Source stock of Pilkington Optiwhite™ and Pilkington K Glass™
- Register with Pilkington as a supplier of stock product.
- Identify target IGU processors, prospective or current Processor Partners.
- Begin to promote benefits of the Pilkington energiKare™ IGU and sell Pilkington Optiwhite™ and Pilkington K Glass™ for use in the IGUs.
Based on feedback since the launch of the scheme, we have decided that window installers who do not fabricate can join the scheme provided they buy windows from a company who supplies them with a window with a BFRC rating of at least C or buy a window which incorporates Pilkinton energiKare™ IGUs from a registered IGU Processor Partner. Installers should register their interest then provide us with details of their supplier and a copy of their certificate which we will verify with that supplying company to become a registered Partner qualifying for the full benefits of the scheme. Without an official BFRC rating window installers would become Pilkington energiKare™ Associate. Details are available from your Pilkington representative or from our customer contact centre on 01744 692000.[ top ]
B5. What is involved in acquiring a BFRC Window Energy Rating for my window containing Pilkington energikare™?
BFRC have a simple procedure to follow and help with this is available as part of Pilkington energiKare™ window Partner Agreement. The whole process can take less than one month, particularly where window specifications match the standard Pilkington energiKare™ simulation produced in advance. In summary;
- Internal preparation - decision on which window and IGU products to register
- Simulation of window performance by an approved simulator
- Select an Independent Agency (IA) such as Buildcheck Ltd. who are working closely with Pilkington and have access to a ready prepared database of simulation results
- IA approves simulation and presence of suitable Quality Management System
- BFRC Registration
- Manufacturer can then use;
• BFRC WER label
• Pilkington energiKare™ branding.
Yes. See www.bfrc.org for accurate up-to-date costs. Typical costs are as follows:
Initial window(s) BFRC simulation (one-off) = £1000 *
Annual subscription to BFRC = from £250 p.a. depending on volume
BFRC labels = £50 for artwork (one off) plus 4p per label.
* Official BFRC simulations have already been produced in advance for the leading profile supplier windows incorporating Pilkington energiKare™ units and these are available for use by Partners.
B7. Will Pilkington provide any help in the process of gaining a Window Energy Rating using Pilkington energikare™?
Yes. We can provide documentation, BFRC-eligible simulations for common window systems and help and advice through our technical helpline as required.[ top ]
By becoming Pilkington energiKare™ Associates thereby confirming that you are sourcing double glazed units from an approved Pilkington energiKare™ IGU Processor Partner. For most efficient performance replacement should only be made such that the glazing can help the whole window to provide improved energy performance overall ideally equivalent to a minimum BFRC WER of band C. Companies should register with us using the Registration Form in the section "Become a Partner" on this website.[ top ]
B9. How do companies who fit IGUs into timber frames on new housing fit into the Pilkington energiKare™ scheme?
In the same way as B8 above by becoming a Pilkington energiKare™ Associate. Companies should register with us using the Registration Form in the section "Become a Partner" on this website.[ top ]
B10. Small IGU processors are finding it hard to achieve the requirements of EN1279-3 have you any suggestions?
One option is to buy-in IGUs from Pilkington or other Pilkington energiKare™ Partners to gain entry to the scheme immediately whilst considering the merits, costs and timing of upgrading and testing for EN1279-3. Alternatively, based on feedback from our customers, we have responded by making another route to compliance. Prospective IGU Partners who can demonstrate that they make IGUs with Pilkington Optiwhite™ / air with warm edge spacer / Pilkington K Glass™ and comply with EN1279-2 may join the scheme.[ top ]
The EN1279-3 test itself costs about £1 – 2K, the equipment costs vary depending on the level of automation required.[ top ]
B12. If IGU manufacturer customer of Pilkington K Glass™ cannot achieve EN1279-3 will Pilkington compete with them?
Our preference is to support loyal customers of Pilkington K Glass™ either by helping them to achieve and/or supplying to them or enabling them to use the alternative route to compliance.[ top ]
By completing the online request form, phoning our Helpline on 01744 692000 or email to email@example.com. You will be sent a Registration Form to complete. The form should be posted or faxed to us according to the details given. We will then write to you confirming your status, advising you of sales support materials and other help available so that you can start selling Pilkington energiKare™ glazing. You will also be sent a Partner Agreement. It is not obligatory to sign the Agreement at this stage however, should you wish to use our creative or imagery or decide to become a Partner in future, then you should consider signing the Agreement at this stage too.[ top ]