Conservatory Designs: Victorian Conservatories
The Victorian era is famous for producing some of the most spectacular conservatory designs. During this era conservatories were mostly used to grow exotic plants that thrive on warmth and sunlight. Victorian design has seen a huge revival over the last few decades and more and more homeowners prefer Victorian conservatories to the various other styles on offer.
Style variations can include:
- 3 Facet Victorian - the bay front has three main windows, widely angled for maximum space. This style is suitable for the majority of locations.
- 5 Facet Victorian - a bay front with five main windows, creating a pleasing period profile with a subtle rounded appearance. Offering the ideal blend of space and classical looks.
Various Conservatory Styles
There is a multitude of conservatory designs to choose from which can sometimes be a little confusing.
- Victorian Conservatories are typified by having more than fives sides and an apexed roof structure.
- Edwardian / Georgian Conservatories are typified by a square or rectangular plan with flat front and apexed roof.
- Gable-Fronted Conservatories are typified by a square floor plan, with a steeply pitched roof.
- P-Shaped Conservatories - combining a mix of lean-to and Victorian styles, these are typified by a P shaped plan and an apexed roof.
The confusion is mostly due to the fact that there is no consistent approach amongst conservatory companies. Some refer to Victorian conservatories as Edwardian or lean-to extenders. The most important thing to remember when looking to add a conservatory to your home is that you need to be as informed as possible and to ask as many questions as you need to. Essentially, you need to be as specific as possible when discussing the type of conservatory you want.
If you want a Victorian conservatory make sure that you and the company you are dealing with share the same definition of a Victorian conservatory.
Find all the conservatory information you need to start your conservatory construction project.