Window Replacement Glass
Deciding on a replacement window can be difficult, as there are so many options to choose from. With increasing advancements in this industry, it is important to be informed about the latest innovations and trends when replacing window glass. You need to choose replacement windows that will best suit your needs and satisfy your wants. Making use of new glass innovations such as Pilkington Activ™ Self-cleaning Glass can not only improve your home's aesthetic appeal but also make your life easier.
Replacement Windows that Don't Look Out of Place
When choosing replacement windows, the first step is to ensure that you opt for a style of window that blends in with the character of your house. Replacement windows can prove to be a great aesthetic investment but like all investments, replacing window glass is something that requires a good deal of forethought.
Some consideration should also go into choosing the type of material that you plan to use for the frames of your replacement windows:
- PVC-U or metal frames require next to no maintenance and are the ideal choice when you're going for the clean, modern look.
- Timber frames offer a traditional and homely feel, perfectly suited to older homes with more classical styling. Be warned though, these frames require the most attention.
- Composite (like fibreglass) frames for replacement windows offer many of the aesthetic advantages of timber, but they are more durable.
Window Replacement Options
Once you've selected and fitted your new window frames, you need to consider the most important part - the window glass. When replacing window glass there is a variety of different glass products that you can choose from.
To ensure that your replacement windows work for you, there are a couple of important questions you need to ask yourself.
- How much sunlight will these windows get?
- Will I need to look at some form of shading?
- How easily accessible are they, will cleaning them be a problem?
- Are they in a vulnerable position? Will I need to look at security options?
Advances in the glass industry mean you can choose a custom glass that meets your specific needs to the letter. For instance, Pilkington Activ™ Self-cleaning Glass is perfect for those hard to reach places like skylights, as it requires very little cleaning and maintenance.
It's also possible to combine a number of different types of functions into a single glass replacement solution. For example, Pilkington Activ™ Blue combines solar control with Self-cleaning properties. This gives you the ease of replacement windows that clean themselves and the comfort of windows that minimise the sun's glare and still help to keep your room at the optimum temperature.
Consult the FAQ section to find out the answers to all of your replacement window questions.